Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Decorating Project 2011

A few weeks ago, I mentioned a new tradition that I wanted to start.  A DIY Christmas decoration for my home! 
I had a few pictures of things I thought would be fun to make.  Well, I still think they would be fun to make, but I did something totally different. :)
I wanted to do something special for Jasmine's first Christmas.  Last year, we bought Ian an ornament for the tree, and I wanted to do an ornament for Jasmine as well.

I decided to make a little handprint Christmas tree ornament.  I totally love how they turned out!
I used a simple salt dough, (recipe below) cut out circles with a regular water glass, and took Jasmine's hand impressions while she was napping. :)


Ian got in on a little bit of the painting, he loved it!  I was pretty impressed with his hand/eye coordination, for a one year old, it was pretty good! :)


He even got to help with the snowflakes! :)



The finished product!  





Salt Dough

1/2 cup salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water

  • Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.

  • Mix together, salt, flour, and water until dough is formed.

  • Knead the dough on a floured surface until the mixture is elastic and smooth. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle with flour, continue to do so until stickiness is gone. Do not add too much flour, this will dry out the dough and will cause it to crack before you get a chance to bake it.

  • Roll out the dough to about ¼” thick with a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.

  • Use cookie cutters to cut out as many shapes as you want.

  • Use a toothpick to make a hole toward the top of the shape. Poke the toothpick into the shape, then holding toothpick straight up and down, make a circular motion as if you were stirring something. Keep circling until the hole is the size you want.

  • Place all shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and place into the preheated oven.

  • Bake for 2 hours.

  • Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
  • 1 comment: